Old September 13th 03, 04:50 PM
Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL

"Jerry L. Wahl" wrote in
:

Assuming your concept was valid, i.e. signal strength was a function
of distance by some formula (inverse square), the approach to follow
is called least squares. Look around for additional info with that
terminology.

- jlw

I participate in a lot of transmitter hunts. I hadn't thought of it but
you are on to something. I wouldn't recommend finding a transmitter
using the method he wants to do it in, that would take too much time. He
would also need an attenuator to prevent full scale readings.

If he wants to hunt with an omni, all he needs really is a step
attenuator and a receiver with an S-meter. Leave the GPS at home.

A faster method is with a directional or null antenna, attenuator, map,
protractor, and possibly compass so he can put the headings on the map
more accurately.

I was thinking of using GPS too, but here is how I would do it. I have a
4 antenna doppler array that gives real time headings. The array is
mounted on my vehicle. The doppler unit sends four bit BCD to a 16 LED
heading indicator.

I would pull the BCD readings and send them to a notebook computer with a
mapping program installed and the GPS connected. The program code would
take the heading from the doppler unit, the receiving position from the
GPS, and superimpose it on the map. The code would also have an
"averaging algorithem" to throw out bad heading do to reflections and
such.

I would only do something like this to show how nifty you could find a
transmitter. Will I do this? Probably not, I already do it in my head.

KB7ADL