Old September 13th 03, 04:11 PM
Bert Hyman

In Scott in Aztlan
wrote:

Clearly you could use trilateration with any 3 of the data points and
get an estimate, ...

Since I'm not familiar with the term "trilateration", I'm guessing that
you mean "triangulation"?

But without a bearing to the transmitter from your location, how can you
do triangulation? That's why simple DF techniques use directional
antennas.

If you knew the output power of the transmitter, knew the radiation
pattern of the transmitter's antenna and knew the signal propagation
characteristics at the instant you took your signal strength reading, you
might be able to make a guess as to your current distance from the
transmitter, and draw a circle of that radius around your location.

Repeat this for enough points, look at all the places that all the circles
interesect and you might find your transmitter.

Other than being able to mark your location on a map and then navigating
to the possible transmitter location(s), I don't see a GPS receiver being
much direct use in this application.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN