Old February 14th 15, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default Disgusting behavious by hams

Smarty wrote:
I have had an amateur radio license for 57 years, and have operated
virtually all modes over this time including sideband, CW, fast and slow
scan television, radio teletype, and some other digital modes, on both HF
and VHF / UHF frequencies.

Not until my recent arrival on Usenet newsgroups did I discover this
additional source of timely amateur information.

I am disgusted and utterly appalled at the total lack of good judgment and
appropriate behavior, to say nothing of common courtesy and ham radio
civility which shows up here on occasion.

In particular, the thread in this newsgroup dealing with a most unfortunate
spat between individuals who happened to have ham radio licenses is
inexcusably inappropriate.

I feel embarrassed to be a member of a group who allow this type of
behavior to go unchecked. I sincerely request that those responsible for
posting such material, entirely and utterly unrelated to amateur radio,
take their childish battle off of this news group and any other amateur
radio news group. It is hardly worthy of a children's playground behavior,
let alone a meeting place for technically educated adults.

Smarty

You arrived on usenet too late. It was a good discussion platform
when many experts exchanged valuable ideas, but it fell victim of
the new developments in IT and internet, and general unwillingness
to adapt. Most users who wanted a modern system left for the forums
and later the social media, and what was left was a group of unmannered
and often autistic folks who are not a good representation of the
community, no matter if it is amateur radio or another topic that is
being discussed.

Usenet as a discussion platform as it is now should not be taken
seriously. It is in its late stages of dying. What is left of usenet
is now mainly used for binary file transfer.
The discussions that once took place on usenet are now on forums,
blogs, twitter and facebook. It can be seen as a pity, but the blame
mostly falls on the usenet maintainers.

(who prohibited HTML, attachments, etc and delayed the creation of
newsgroups by prohibitive bureaucratic mechanisms)