Old February 20th 15, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default lightning

In article ,
Kurt Stocklmeir wrote:

I would like to know how much am and fm radio waves are made by
lightning

has any person tried this - when lightning is around use their
radio to find how many watts of am and fm radio waves are made by
lighning

thank you for any answers

I think you'll find that your question doesn't "map well" onto how
lightning works.

Saying "AM radio waves" or "FM radio waves" implies that there is a
carrier wave, which is being either amplitude-modulated or
frequency-modulated.

Neither of these is the case for lightning strikes. Lightning
consists of strong, irregular pulses of current with rapid rise
times. Each pulse generates a broadband burst of electromagnetic
energy, with energy content distributed widely across a whole range of
frequencies.

The figure I'm seeing is that a single lightning strike typically
releases about 5 billion joules of energy (5 billion watt-seconds).
Most of this is released in a very short period of time (under a
millisecond).

According to http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/thunder2.html
about 90% of the lighting's energy is released as heat, less than 1%
is released as sound, and the rest (call it 10%) is released as
light (and, I presume, other frequencies of electromagnetic energy).
There's a very strong electromagnetic pulse near the lighting stroke
and the earth impact point, due to the high current flow.

In the "radio" frequencies per se (e.g. from a few hundred kHz to a
few hundred MHz) it's probably a fraction of a percent of the total
lightning strike energy... mostly in sharp bursts at the beginning
(and perhaps end) of each individual sub-stroke.