Old February 24th 15, 04:32 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI is offline

Default What is the point of digital voice?

"AndyW" wrote in message
On 24/02/2015 12:47, gareth wrote:
What is the point of digital voice when there are already AM, SSB
and FM for those who want to appear indistinguishable from CBers?

Perhaps it is cynicism from the manufacturers who introduce such things
as they see their traditional highly-priced corner of the market
being wiped away by SDR technologies?

Bandwidth reduction for one.
If you can encode and compress speech sufficiently then you can use less
bandwidth in transmission.

That's the bit I have trouble getting my head around. Back in the 1970s and
1980s digital transmissions used a much greater bandwidth than their
analogue equivalents. Sampling at 2.2 x max frequency x number of bits plus
housekeeping bits etc. etc.
A UK standard 625 line PAL video transmission would have used a bandwidth of
over 400MHz!
Times have changed and left me behind, but I've still got me beer so who
cares?
--
;-)
..