Old March 6th 15, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
FBMBoomer FBMBoomer is offline

Default Fish finder question?

On 3/4/2015 6:31 AM, Tom wrote:
Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I placed a post in the boating newsgroup
but they haven't the radio tech knowledge as here.

I figured that splicing the connector would affect its abilitly to
perform 100%. I do not want to damage the fishfinder head. It is 500
dollars.

Transducer and cable only about 100 dollars but the time to install it
is the kicker. It will take more than a day and I worry I would be
installing a less quality one right beside what looks to be a good
quality one.For no reason.

I was hoping someone here had done a similiar upgrade and knew how to
measure that existing tranducer with about 30 feet of cable.

Thank you all for the information, but obviously the best solution would
be to replace it. I was hoping to use existing one that may work just as
equally.

Thanks again for all the info.

Cheers

73s

I have a lot of experience with this from a long time ago. Just use the
transducer you have. Almost all are 200khz. If you really want to test
it, just put a signal generator on it and a scope. When you swish past
the frequency the amplitude will jump up. Very simple. There were some
125 khz transducers made and some 50 khz transducers, but they were far
more expensive and of course more rare.

"Flash" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 17:10:29 -0500, "Tom" wrote:

Is there a way to test the transducer to see if it is 200khz
compatible for
the new Elite 5?

It is quite a simple procedure actually that can be discovered in one
of a few
different means.

1st - Consult the product information for the required information. or
2nd - Call a local supplier/authorized service provider. Many Marinas and
boating accessory sales locations will be happy to provide you with some
examples.
3rd - Call the manufacturer.

Can I simply splice it myself or is there a reason why I
shouldn't. I have spliced coax many times.

Many people can splice coax. Very few will do it right or not at all when
inadvisable. being able to pass a signal is no indication that the
splice was
done properly. Given your past posts covering a wide variety of
subjects and
technologies, hardly any having to do with the actual purpose of this
group, my
advice is to contact the manufacturer for advice and the proper parts
for your
ideal installation.