Old March 6th 15, 03:29 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
rickman rickman is offline

Default The biscuit barrel

On 3/6/2015 10:21 AM, Brian Reay wrote:
On 06/03/2015 15:07, rickman wrote:
On 3/6/2015 2:46 AM, AndyW wrote:
On 05/03/2015 23:04, gareth wrote:
"Iain Young, G7III" wrote in message

An awful lot of evidence by citing off-the-shelf solutions for both
the hardware and the software of SDR.

It depends where you draw the line.
I have a DVB dongle that I use under linux.
I use pre-written drivers and a waterfall code module but the rest of
the code is self-written by me in c++ and python with some java 2D stuff
for the pretty front end and logging and analysis (largely because I
prefer the collections interface in Java over c++ for massive data
handling).

It is certainly homebrew because the amount of time and effort I spent
in writing to code (and time to learn python on codeacademy - good site
BTW) was probably longer than I have spent designing and building
hardware.

Your mileage may vary....

Andy

I didn't know about these things. Pretty amazing. A UHF/VHF tuner for
under $10 on eBay. Which one do you have?

There are a number of similar ones. This is the one I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTL2832U-R...em566780 9155

You need to make or buy an antenna connector so you can use a BNC or
something sensible to connect to your antenna system. The supplied
antenna is pretty grim, I suppose you could use the connector an snip
the rather poor coax short and put a decent connector on it.

Depending on which OS you use, there are a number of existing programs
you can use with it to get a feel for it before you start developing
your own. Some people use them with R Pi's to make receive only iGates
or Internet Scanners etc. I think I even saw a webpage where someone had
used one as a spectrum analyser.

My understanding was that the idea of using them as SDRs came from the
USA but perhaps not.

What do you use yours for?

--

Rick