Old March 14th 15, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Recomend dual band VHF / UHF antenna for two radios

In article ,
Tom W3TDH wrote:

I was under the impression that the persons participating in any given QSO
could hear each other over the access point they were using. I had pictured
it as somewhat akin to the remote receivers on our club's analog FM repeater
in that the other users on the QSO would hear the conversation over the
repeaters output.

Tom-

The more you post, the more complicated it becomes!

What you describe sounds like a remote receiver for an existing
repeater, not a hot spot. The hot spot I have is a low power DVAP
operating on a simplex frequency. Yours might be equivalent, but using
a more powerful transmitter.

A hot spot does not connect to a repeater via RF. It connects via the
internet to another device. That device might be a D-STAR repeater, but
often it is a computer hosting a "reflector" that repeaters may also be
connected to.

If your hot spot is connected to the same reflector as the local
repeater, it would be possible for users to talk into the hot spot and
listen to the repeater output. But that would be a split frequency
setup for the radio.

As I said, go ahead and try what you had planned. It will work to some
extent, and will help you get your feet wet.

73,
Fred
K4DII