Old March 14th 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Recomend dual band VHF / UHF antenna for two radios

Tom,

Please see inlined...

On 3/14/2015 1:17 PM, Tom W3TDH wrote:

May I ask that you cool your jets a little. Please turn off the
afterburners and stick to the questions that I'm asking. I don't
want to be a focus of a flame war. I came here in the hope of
getting good information and the task of sorting out conflicting
advice is so much easier if I don't need to also filter out
gratuitous feuding.

If you followed this group before posting (always a good idea), you will
see that is pretty normal here. If you're going to post, you can expect
both good and bad advice. And some people (like Channel Jumper - who
probably isn't even a ham) are so far off with every post you can expect
a flame war.

But then that is true of almost every place on the Internet.

Your version of what is possible is attractive because it allows me
to do what I want to do to support my clubs D-STAR project and
provide a training resource for the ARES Hospital Emergency Net staff
to become competent with Winlink.

I realize that there are some Hams that despise Winlink and all other
automated store and forward systems. I will be doing everything I can
to avoid interference to other Amateurs but since we are using this to
support hospitals under emergency conditions I think that everyone can
just suck it up and bare with the emergency traffic and whatever
inconvenience it may generate. b

You are required by law to avoid interference. But you also need to
understand what constitutes emergency traffic to the FCC. For that to
occur, there must be an IMMEDIATE threat to life and/or property. An
example would be reporting an automobile accident, especially one
requiring immediate medical attention.

It does NOT include 99% of the traffic being passed during an emergency.
In the 19 years I've been a member of MoCo ARES/RACES (including the
Hospital Net), we have NEVER had emergency traffic passed during a
callout. Of course, I could also say that of most of the emergencies
I've been involved in in 47 years as a ham. The only times I can think
of that I've been involved in true emergency traffic during a callout
was when aiding search and rescue after tornadoes.

Just because it's a hospital net does not constitute emergency traffic.

So, while hams in the area will voluntarily yield the frequency, there
is no requirement for them to do so, and any interference would be a
violation.

Would you please advise if the third harmonic issue is likely to be
serious enough to require the use of a low pass filter between the
two meter transceiver and the Diplexer/Band Pass Filter when using
separate transmitters?

Your diplexer should handle that well enough. What would be more of a
concern to me would be just the spurious radiation around the shack.
It's possible that could cause some desense, but I wouldn't expect it to
be significant.

--
Tom Horne W3TDH

Your sig separator is broken. It needs to be exactly
hyphen-hyphen-space-newline. You're missing the space.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address