Old March 15th 15, 05:55 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
rickman rickman is offline

Default Making capacitors?

On 3/14/2015 6:54 AM, Spike wrote:
On 14/03/15 09:17, MW3QRO/MM wrote:
Rambo wrote:

It only takes 200mA to cause a cardiac malfunction, why on eath would
you want to mess about with those sorts of voltages given the off
chance that one of those bolts may choose you as its earth return?

To see if it could be done and along the way to find out how not to do
it.

Reminds me of a friend of mine. He was making a laser, using part of a
car ignition system to generate high voltages. One evening he managed to
put 35kV up his arm, an experience he later described as 'interesting'.
He took care not to do it again, though.

I thought an auto ignition would produce 35 kV in normal operation.
I've been shocked by such an ignition system without harm and I've never
heard of anyone being hurt by that. It doesn't feel good, but it is far
from harmful.

--

Rick