Old December 29th 03, 06:57 AM
Tom Bruhns

A J-pole is just an end-fed half-wave and a matching section (which
also radiates some). On 160, the matching section won't be
particularly efficient if made from twinlead. Look for the discussion
that went on here earlier this year, I believe, about the Q of a
transmission line resonator. It's pretty terrible for small line at
lower HF frequencies, but is quite good for the same size line up at
UHF. So, you're probably much better off to use an "L" network made
from a series inductor and shunt capacitor, and to provide some sort
of counterpoise or ground system to operate against. Then you only
have to hoist 1/2 a wave of single-conductor wire with your balloon --
or something up in the trees but I hope fairly well insulated from
them.

Cheers,
Tom

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message ...
I was thinking (rare - lol), what if I used
rat shack 300 ohm twinlead and made a
J-pole for 160 meters? The antenna would
be sling shotted over several nearby trees
or baloon lifted.

Seems too simple to work, eh? Or am I
missing something here?

Ken KG0WX