Old April 20th 15, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
bilou bilou is offline

Default A Top Band 1/4 wave vertical?

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

Weight might be a problem. I'll guess(tm) #16 AWG wire, which weighs
7.82 lbs/1000ft or 11.6 gm/meter. 1/4 wave at 160 meters is 40 meters
so that antenna would weigh:
11.6 gm/meter * 40 = 464 gm
Hmmm... Probably too heavy. By comparison, a GoPro camera body weighs
100 gm. Ok, smaller guage wire or bigger quadcopter.
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Hi
I like the idea of using a bifilar antenna with the 2 wires in parallel for
RF and
the motors supplied in differential mode.
Good motors for the job could be those used in lowcost Dremel tools
They reach 20000 RPM and work on 220V AC or DC.
Collector noise in receive could be a problem too.
May be wiring the 4 motors in serial would be a good idea too to minimise
voltage drops and weight.