Old April 28th 15, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Brian Reay[_5_] Brian Reay[_5_] is offline

Default External aerial for 4G+ (LTE Advanced) [Relish.net] Router

On 27/04/15 21:28, Jim wrote:
Firstly sorry if this is OT guys but you do seem the best people to ask.

The part of London I live in has rubbish ISP speeds (4 mbit) and I have
been offered an old Relish.net router which is a Gemtek WLTFSR-115GN, I
know some of these have external aerial sockets (US ones I think) but
the version I will get does not have any external sockets, so it's a
case of go inside and try to figure out some way of connecting an
external aerial, now the reason I need an external one is I am right on
the edge of their coverage and only get a single bar using just the
router, I do have some images of the inside of the router so I will post
the links for them later, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard
of this being done in the UK?

TIA

I use one on my mobilehome (RV for our US readers) with my Huawi MiFi
4G/3G. The whip is mounted on a Panorama base (from a PMR whip) on the
luggage rack (specifically fitted to mount antennas) and the cable run
into the habitation area. A short adaptor lead goes from the BNC to the
proper connector for the MiFi (I can't recall the type, TS9?). I
generally gain several 'bars' on the 'S meter' on the setup page.

Previously I used one of the tiny antennas of Ebay sitting on the roof
with a 3G Mifi, it gave a useful increase in performance (unusable
outside the motorhome without the antenna to reliable inside with it). I
replaced it as I wanted a fixed set up which would work when driving
(not for the driver!).