Old May 17th 15, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Antenna tuner question

In message , Ian
writes
"Helmut Wabnig" [email protected] --- -.dotat wrote in message
.. .
hello,
I am a newcomer in amateur radio shortwave and so far
have built a dipole antenna with ladder line.

Not a G5RV, not a ZEPP, not a DOUBLE ZEPP, not a DOUBLETT,
but a dipole, a non-resonant antenna, if you know what I mean.

Unfortunately the antenna feedpoint is 25 meters away.
Now I am searching for a remote automatic tuner
for balanced feed line, aka hen's ladder, and coax input.

Presently I am using a BG-430 military Generalstab radio tuner.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zellweg...em_se_430.html
It is the lower right foto, the thing in the center with the 4 black
feet. Works only 80 and 40 meters.
In more detail:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zellweg...geraet_ag.html
Look at the schematic, upper part.
The input coax connects to the "balun" transformer,
and two variometer coils connect to the antenna output.

I have not been able to find anything useable on the market.
SGC tuners are ruled out, they are strictly for long wires
and nothing else. They make their money with the UN and other
mobile militaries, amateurs are not existent for them.
Amateurs use dipoles and ladder lines.

Hello Helmut. I was puzzled by your comments about SGC as they are
well-known in the ham radio world.
You wrote "Amateurs use dipoles and ladder lines". Have a look at page 24 of
this PDF http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications/Manuals/230man.pdf
This shows an SGC SG-230 Smartuner being used with a dipole fed by a
balanced line feeder.

While that WILL work - and probably work quite well - it is certainly
'not the way to do it'. There will be a lot of radiation from (and
pick-up on) the feeder. There really should be some sort of balun
between the tuner and the feeder. However, with high impedance twin
feeder, the impedance presented at the bottom of the feeder could be
something that certain types of balun do not like. Some experimentation
will probably be required.

--
Ian