Old May 24th 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Baofeng

In message , gareth
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

We also have 8 500mW 'PMR446' channels around 446MHz (same type of
equipment as the FCC FRS service).

Been using such today, for they were the radios used at a cross-county event
by we fence judges!

What sort of range were you getting?

Some types are modifiable to the UK 70cm band (only simplex, of course)
- and ten plus years ago, The Telcom TE-145/150/157 used to be the
favourite. With the Baofeng type now being so readily available, I don't
expect anyone would bother these days.

I bought a pair of TE-145s to modify, but of course, I never got a round
tuit - partly because there was essentially zero 70cm simplex activity
around these parts. Except for an initial check to see if they worked,
I've never used them. I wonder if there's still an interest in DXing
(legally, with the integral antenna)?
http://www.delboys446.co.uk/

--
Ian