Old September 27th 03, 04:19 AM
Frank

Paul (Erie) wrote:
Can someone tell me what it takes in terms of how much money to start a
2-meter ham repeater?

Also, does it take extra permission from the FCC to use my repeater on a
specific 144-148 frequency?

What type of equipment is needed....any internwet links to places that sell
these sorts of things?

thanks?

First of all, you can find surplus commercial repeater equipment at
hamfests with fair prices. You would also need a repeater controller
(that has a CW or voice ID), a duplexer, and of course, an antenna. I
would suggest Motorola Micor's, but GE Mastr II's work just fine as
well. For the controller, S-Com makes a nice one (7K). Stationmaster
would be the best antenna for your system, but they are pricey. I would
check with www.tessco.com for pricing info. You need to have the
repeater coordinated with your local repeater council. HOpe this info
helps.

73

Frank K3EKO

PS: I would recommend TXRX or Celwave for the duplexer, and Andrews
Heliax for coax and connectors.