Old June 14th 15, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Battery question???

On 6/13/2015 12:43 PM, highlandham wrote:
On 12/06/15 20:26, Dave Platt wrote:
My understanding is that the sensor in the CO detectors, being
chemically based, does have a limited lifetime. As of 2009, ANSI/UL
specs require that such alarms begin chirping an "end of lifetime"
signal after 5 years of operation... and a couple of weeks after this,
you can no longer turn off the chirp.

==============================
Perhaps OK for CO detectors , but Americium type smoke detectors have a
very long life ; the ones in my house still work well (tested with
smoke) after 22 years, cleaned with a vacuum cleaner,every 2 years.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT

But do they work WITHIN SPECS? A simple smoke test does not tell that.

A smoke detector is not an on/off switch. It is built to trigger on a
certain level of smoke. Both too sensitive and not sensitive enough are
problematic.

I would NOT risk my family's lives on a 22 year old smoke detector!

--
Remove the "x" from my email address