Old July 2nd 15, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

Wayne wrote:

wrote in message ...

Wayne wrote:

snip

In my own particular case, an automatic remotely tuned ATU would be a
pain
to install/maintain.

This part I do not understand at all.

At the antenna end is a box with a connector for the feed line and a
connector for the antenna. There is nothing to maintain there.

If you get an ATU that gets it's power through the coax, you put the
power injector in line with the feed line in the shack. There is
nothing to maintain there either and you do not need to run any extra
wires out to the antenna.

The problem is with my own particular case. The antenna is a whip mounted
in the middle of a metal roof.

At my age, I shouldn't be wandering around on or climbing such a roof.

Once installed, any failure would require a trip to the roof. The ATU
would be exposed to extreme temperature and sunlight that might eventually
induce failures.

The age part I can understand; an inverted, cheap plastic trash can will
provide more than adequate protection against the elements.

--
Jim Pennino