Old July 2nd 15, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
rickman rickman is offline

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

On 7/2/2015 3:17 PM, Wayne wrote:

wrote in message ...

Wayne wrote:

snip

In my own particular case, an automatic remotely tuned ATU would be a
pain
to install/maintain.

This part I do not understand at all.

At the antenna end is a box with a connector for the feed line and a
connector for the antenna. There is nothing to maintain there.

If you get an ATU that gets it's power through the coax, you put the
power injector in line with the feed line in the shack. There is
nothing to maintain there either and you do not need to run any extra
wires out to the antenna.

The problem is with my own particular case. The antenna is a whip
mounted in the middle of a metal roof.

At my age, I shouldn't be wandering around on or climbing such a roof.

Once installed, any failure would require a trip to the roof. The ATU
would be exposed to extreme temperature and sunlight that might
eventually induce failures.

A friend of mine who is past 70 has had a TV antenna preamp on his roof
for some 50 years. He has been up there to check it at least once when
he couldn't get the digital TV signals as well any more. It was not the
problem. If a unit is constructed well, it should live a rich, full
life on the roof, protected from the abuse it might receive in your shack.

--

Rick