Old July 5th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roger Hayter Roger Hayter is offline

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

Wayne wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 19:04:01 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
wrote: Think of it this way, without the
math. On the transmitter side of the network, the match is 1:1,
with nothing reflected back to the transmitter. So you have a
signal coming back from the antenna. You have a perfect matching
network, which means nothing is lost in the network. The feedline
is perfect, so there is no loss in it. The only place for the
signal to go is back to the antenna.

Wikipedia says that if the source is matched to the line, any
reflections that come back are absorbed, not reflected back to the
antenna:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching
"If the source impedance matches the line, reflections
from the load end will be absorbed at the source end.
If the transmission line is not matched at both ends
reflections from the load will be re-reflected at the
source and re-re-reflected at the load end ad infinitum,
losing energy on each transit of the transmission line."

Well, I looked at that section of the writeup.
And, I have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
Looks like a good section for a knowledgeable person to edit.

If the termination matches the line impedance, there is no reflection.

Both the antenna and the source are terminations.

This is a bit difficult to visualze with an RF transmitter, but is
more easily seen with pulses.

The wikipedia entry is correct as written.

In the real world, the output of an amateur transmitter will seldom
be exactly 50 Ohms unless there is an adjustable network of some
sort.

The impedance of a transmitter output will be nothing like 50 ohms
resistive, as this would result in an efficiency well below 50%, with
all the normal amplfier losses plus the actual RF power produced being
50% dissipated in the PA. This is why matching in the forward direction
coexists with a mjaor mismatch in the reverse direction. This is good
because if there is any reflected wave we don't want it to add yet more
to the PA dissipation. But it does explain what is happening, and why
there are increased losses in the feeder as well as the matching
networks.

The output impedance of an amateur transmitter IS approximately 50 Ohms
as is trivially shown by reading the specifications for the transmitter
which was designed and manufactured to match a 50 Ohm load.

Do you think all those manuals are lies?

You are starting with a false premise which makes everything after that
false.

A quick google demonstrates dozens of specification sheets that say the
transmitter is designed for a 50 ohm load, and none that mention its
output impedance.

As we all agree, under equal output impedance and load impedance
conditions, onty half the RF generated reaches the load. This is sim;ly
not acceptable or likely for any real-world transmitter. Do 50kW radio
station output valves dissipate 50kW? I hope not!

--
Roger Hayter