Old July 6th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John S John S is offline

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

On 7/5/2015 7:08 PM, Wayne wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 20:22:19 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

As for a simpler way, I'd recommend a remote auto-matcher like an SGC at
the antenna base. It will minimise coax losses and should give you a
good match, at least for most bands. I've used a similar set up (with
radials) and achieved a good match even on 80m.

If your radio has a built in tuner, then it can be used to 'tweak' the
match in the event the radio isn't 'seeing' 1.5:1. Turn it off
initially. Let the SGC find a match. If it isn't ideal, use the local
ATU for a final tweak. I never found this was required but YMMV.

Not everyone is a true believer in antenna tuners:
http://www.qsl.net/g3tso/Hombrew-Mobile%20Antennas.html

Interesting.
I'm off on a different approach.

I have an RF ammeter mounted in a box. The box is in the shack between
the ATU and the antenna.

I simply adjust the ATU for max current on the ammeter.

Hey, Wayne -

As a matter of curiosity on my part, can you find a way to measure the
ammeter's resistance and let me know the full-scale value?

Many thanks,
John