Old July 9th 15, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
rickman rickman is offline

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

On 7/9/2015 4:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"rickman" wrote in message

Why do you ignore it when it says Zo is the impedance of the
transmission line and not the source?

I don't; The transmission line in this case IS the source.

No, the source is the source. Even if you wish to consider transmission
line as the source in some example, the page clearly says Zo is the
impedance of the transmission line, without any context where you can say
it is a source or a load.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charac...ion_line_model

The SWR in a system, any kind of system, is measured at a point in a
system.

You mean a system that includes a source, a transmission line and a load?

One side of that point is the source and the other side of that point
is the load.

It also does not matter which side you declare the source and which side
you declare the load.

In that case the antenna is Zo? I don't think so.

A 50 Ohm source and a 100 Ohm load has the same SWR as a 100 Ohm source
and a 50 Ohm load.

By convention the load side is normally taken as the side which, when
the system is powered, the power is desired to be dissipated.

I don't know why you dig your heels in on every little point. Sometimes
you are just wrong and need to acknowledge that so the discussion can move
on. Zo (or Z0) is used to represent the characteristic impedance of a
transmission line. Zs (or Zsource) is used for the source. ZL (or Zload)
is used for the load. Read the wiki quote above and the many other
*clear* examples.

--

Rick

I think that is his problem. The source does not mater . It is just there
to provide power to the load. The swr is stated TOWARD the SOURCE. It does
not have anything to do with the actual source impedance. As someone said
eairler you measure the swr, then put any value resistor in parallel with
the transmitter (source) and measuer the swr. It will still be the same if
nothing else changes.

Jimp just can not seem to get it in his head the impedance of the
transmitter (source) does not matter. It seems to me he thinks the coax is
the source.

So he is agreeing with you that the source is not relevant. What is
relevant is the transmission line impedance.

I just don't see the coax generating any power outside of a
very minute random power depending on the temperature that would be in the
micro watts or less that is way out of the scope of the swr discussion.

Then don't bother to talk about it. I know I won't.

--

Rick