Old July 10th 15, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

Jeff wrote:

That is correct, but not the situation that we are discussing, we are
talking about matching a load to a 50 ohm transmission line. In that
case changing the length of line will NEVER result in a match. Using a
*different impedance* length of coax as a transmission line transformer
is a totally different case, and as you say will result is a standing
wave on the line and associated losses.

Jeff

So you are only interested in special cases?

No. I am commenting on the original proposal that changing the length of
a line of the same impedance as the system impedance can result in a
good match when one did not exist to start with.

Jeff

OK, but that has been settled long ago.

BTW, for a real world transmission line transformer, the transformer
section where the impedance mismatch occurs will be of a very short
length compared to the total transmission line and thus will have low
loss.

--
Jim Pennino