Old July 10th 15, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default An antenna question--43 ft vertical

John S wrote:
On 7/10/2015 12:29 PM, wrote:
John S wrote:
On 7/10/2015 12:29 AM,
wrote:
John S wrote:
On 7/9/2015 12:32 AM,
wrote:
John S wrote:
On 7/8/2015 4:48 PM,
wrote:
John S wrote:
On 7/8/2015 12:47 PM,
wrote:
John S wrote:

So, at 1Hz the law has changed, eh? What new law do I need to use?

To be pendatic, there is only one set of physical laws that govern
electromagnetics.

However for DC all the complex parts of those laws have no effect and
all the equations can be simplified to remove the complex parts.

In the real, practical world people look upon this as two sets of
laws, one for AC and one for DC.

A good example of this is the transmission line which does not exist
at DC; at DC a transmission line is nothing more than two wires with
some resistance that is totally and only due to the ohmic resistance
of the material that makes up the wires.

So, is .01Hz AC or DC, Jim? How about 1Hz? 10Hz? Where does AC begin and
DC end?

It is called a limit.

If there is NO time varying component, it is DC, otherwise it is AC.

Are you playing devil's advocate or are you really that ignorant?

Then there is no such thing as DC because even a battery looses voltage
over a period of time. DC voltage sources have noise.

An ideal battery doesn't.

Where can one be purchased?

At the ideal battery store.

C'mon, jimp, what concession from me will it take to get us back on
track so we can discuss this topic in an adult and gentlemanly manner?

When one analyzes circuits, it is done with ideal components.

Yes, until you throw in the requirement that one must go get an
off-the-shelf ham transmitter for measurements.

Babbling nonsense.

Amateur radio equipment is designed by the same engineering tools that
design everything else.

If the real world properties are important, they are in turn modeled
with additional ideal components.

Yes.

For example, an ideal voltage source has constant voltage and zero
source resistance forever.

Yes.

If the source resistance is important to the circuit, then it is modeled
by putting an ideal resistor in series with the voltage source.

Yes.

Your statement:

"Then there is no such thing as DC because even a battery looses voltage
over a period of time. DC voltage sources have noise."

is either just a childish strawman or you have no real clue how circuits,
including electromagnetic circuits, are modeled.

This was in response to your asinine statement "At the ideal battery
store." And, the whole thing started when I asked you to define the
difference between AC and DC. There is no breakpoint, jimp, it is
dependent on which tool we use to analyze the problem at hand.

Nope; In mathematics it is called a lower limit.

My "asinine statement" was appropriate for your asinine question.

The tools used at DC may have been derived from that same base principals
as used at AC, but they are much simplified and many things that exist
at AC simply do not exist at DC, e.g. capacitors, inductors, transmission
lines, propagating fields, etc.

The only time where the fact that a real battery discharges would be of
any significance is if you were analyzing a circuit for it's performance
over a voltage range, in which casee one would step the voltage source.

Okay, jimp. You did not answer my direct question, so I must assume you
have no further interest in continuing this childish argument. I am
tired of your nit-picky responses that we can all see through. They are
designed exclusively to satisfy your ego and we don't need that in spite
of the fact that you can be a valuable source of information. Yeah, I
needled you right back because you refused to continue in a reasonable
manner.

I am responding as an engineer would respond.

An engineer doesn't arm wave crap about battery discharge disproving
DC theory.

--
Jim Pennino