Old August 3rd 15, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default "Bal uhn" or "bayl uhn"?

rickman wrote:
On 8/3/2015 2:25 PM, wrote:
rickman wrote:
On 8/3/2015 1:39 PM,
wrote:
rickman wrote:
On 8/3/2015 4:49 AM, Jeff wrote:

This is one of those cases where you have forgotten the details and
underlying premises. A Faraday cage can't stop currents from flowing
through the "cage". It stops fields from penetrating the cage by action
of the resulting currents in the cage. Your car is largely a Faraday
cage but you can still be electrocuted if a live wire is in contact with
the chassis and you touch it while inside. There can be a high
potential across different parts of the car from the current and that
current can pass through you if you touch the cage.

If there are high different potentials between different parts of the
car it is not a Faraday Cage.

You are applying some rule you learned without understanding it. By
ohms law there will be potential differences around the Faraday cage.

Also assuming that it is a Faraday cage then touching it whist the cage
is connected to a live conductor will not cause a shock, as everything
is at the same potential.

Only true if the conductor is perfect with no resistance.

Pedantically true but practically irrelevant; for a real world cage the
voltage differences will be small fractions of a volt.

"Your car is largely a Faraday cage but you can still be electrocuted if
a live wire is in contact with the chassis and you touch it while inside."

Why don't we conduct an experiment. You are saying it will only be a
small fraction of a volt, we'll put you in the car. lol

I notice you did not address what I actually wrote.

Yet another red herring from the red herring master; I would never call
a car a Faraday cage for a number of reasons.

Neither is a coax shield.

I notice you still did not address what I actually wrote.

Yet another red herring from the red herring master; I would never call
a coax shield a Faraday cage.

--
Jim Pennino