Old August 11th 15, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. O'Nella Sal M. O'Nella is offline

Default "Bal uhn" or "bayl uhn"?

"Jeff" wrote in message ...

On 27/07/2015 21:45, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Definitely 'Bal-Un' only. Never heard it said any other way.

Jeff

Sadly, when I worked as a tech, one of the engineers I routinely went out
with said "BAIL-em" 100% of the time. Ouch. (I was not in a position to
correct him but he was top-notch on the job, so the hurt was minor.)

Sal