Old August 18th 15, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John S John S is offline

Default How does antenna re-radiation work?

On 8/17/2015 4:04 PM, Wayne wrote:
I thought I'd look up this subject and got nowhere. I didn't find it in
Kraus and some internet searching was futile.

As an example, if we have a transmitting dish that precisely covers a
receiving dish (and vice versa), such that there is no path loss. What
happens at the receiving dish with respect to re-radiated power?

That power is apparently sent back to the transmitter and then?

Antennas For All Applications by John D. Krause and Ronald J. Marhefka,
3rd edition, ISBN 0-07-053243-5.

Page 29, immediately below equation 10:
"When the antenna is receiving with a load resistance Rl matched to the
antenna radiation resistance Rr(Rl=Rr), as much power is reradiated from
the antenna as is delivered to the load. This is the condition of
/maximum power transfer/ (antenna assumed lossless)."

They go on to say it applies to 1/2 wavelength dipoles but does not
apply to all antennas.