Old August 21st 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default 2m antenna and Micro Inverters

On 8/20/2015 5:40 PM, Tom wrote:
Yes, but Enphase Microinverters shut off, SolarEdge inverters shut off,
for just that reason. This makes them certifiable. They are probably the
better ones for my application.

You mentioned it was possible with more equipment. Can you elaborate? I
want to primarily be on the program, but when my grid goes down for any
serious length of time what more equipment would you recommend me
considering that both meets the code, made in Ontario and is tried and
true, suitable for the program. I don't want knock offs or copies, or
offshore stuff. Must be certified and meet the code, etc etc, and not so
complicated it needs NASA Satelite Engineers to approve my drawings.

Thanks

Tom,

Yes, there are systems which can operate independently from the grid.
Typically they operate like a zero time switchover UPS - your house
actually runs off batteries and/or rectified and filtered AC, through an
inverter which generates the 60hz. But if you're talking 200A service
at 230V, you're talking over 45KW maximum drain. An inverter which
generates sine waves with that much power (not to mention the batteries
required to support it) is quite expensive (and generating clean sine
waves isn't all that efficient). Sure, you don't need it all of the
time - but you need to be able to supply the peak draw.

As Jim hinted - you have to isolate the output of your inverter from the
power lines, even though they both feed the same equipment. Otherwise,
when you lose power, your inverter is going to try to supply power to
the whole neighborhood. Not only would that burn out your inverter, but
it could electrocute someone.

That's a big reason most backup systems use diesel generators. They are
much more cost effective and will run as long as they have fuel
available. Plus they generate pretty clean sine waves. Switchover is
on the order of a few seconds; if that's too long one or more UPS's for
critical systems can keep power up for that short of a time.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address