Old August 21st 15, 02:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default 2m antenna and Micro Inverters

On 8/21/2015 9:00 AM, Tom wrote:
Thanks gents

Great, thanks for all your thoughts.

I wanted to stay away from the battery bank thing, I have enough trouble
with keeping 4 or 5 deep cycles alive for more than 5 or 6 years. But I
may introduce them to a PV system.
But all my Deep Cycles are different sizes, so sure would like some of
those Tesla by Elon. I believe that person is developing a huge PV
manufacturing facility in Buffalo NY but I talked to SolarCity reps and
they will not deal with Canadian market.

My program is with Ontario Hydro and up north our local providers are
shaky and unreliable. In Ontario Canada the provincial govt is recently
(last decade or more) really screwed things up, they started a Gas Power
Plant and cancelled that after about a billion, they have had other
programs that they started and abruptly ended after loosing a few
billion and now they are in a 50 year debt and trying to sell off to
private (fire sale) and they are offering this program to me for a 20
year contract. So I must install 40 panels on my roof and tie it all
into the grid and they want 100% of it and paying a pretty nice penny
per KWh. But the initial investment by me is substantial up front so if
they pull out of the deal in one year then I have a very big expensive
inverters that are good for nothing. A lot of people in Ontario Canada
don't think that the local Ontary Hydro will be long for this world, so
we don't want to get stuck on this program and left hanging.

I can see them keeping me (and all home owners or cottage owners) as
providers because we aren't unionized and costing more to produce it
than selling it, I think they are trying to eliminate the nuclear (60%
of our power in Ontario) because it is costing too much debt. So their
goal may be to get all that can to provide it because I maintain the
house structure and panel system and no union or salary or coffee
breaks. But they could cancel that tomorrow leaving me a $30,000 system
I can do nothing with.

I like what they are offering, it seems too good to be true.

I will take a chance, role the dice and jump in. For the program.
Without the program it isn't worth it at this time.

Thanks very much for all the food for thought, I will implement a small
charge controller and small battery bank system. I like your Diesel
Generator idea for if ever the power does go out, which it does. But it
is small to worry about. Thanks again for all the ideas.

For my primary reason for this system, I will buy the 40 panels and do
you folks have any reasons why you would select the Solaredge technology
with the new optimizers for efficiencies (about $3000.00) for their
product, or using Enphase microinverters (about $7000.00). Other than
costs difference, which would you folks prefer? Both become useless if
the power grid goes off, but both are looking pretty equal for
efficiences and installation is easy enough.

All the surfing and reading I see is everyone has installed the
Solaredge and it seems to have improved nicely, while the Enphase is the
lastest and not really had many years of use to compare, but they
apparently to some are the better device.

Do you folks have any comments on either of these devices?

Have good day, thanks

You're going to be better off asking questions like this in a solar
power related group. I don't think anyone here has any detailed
experience with what you're asking.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address