Old August 22nd 15, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom W3TDH Tom W3TDH is offline

Default 2m antenna and Micro Inverters

I would go with the single unit inverters because as you have already observed the wiring for those is simpler. Then if you ever wanted to make a secondary use of the photo voltaic array's output it would be a lot simpler to wire in the needed additional equipment. With the micro inverters that would be impractical because you would need to tap into the panels output between the panel and each micro inverter rather than the single set of input conductors just ahead of the single unit inverter. But if you know that you are super unlikely to ever want to use the solar array for anything but grid tie power then the only thing that matters is the relative efficiency of the two choices when you balance that against any cost difference.

--
Tom Horne

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 6:50:00 AM UTC-4, Tom wrote:
Hi
Thanks for the ideas.

SNIP

My choice now is between the Enphase microinverters or the Solaredge single
inverter with the optimizers. Are there any advantages to either one over
the other that you folks are aware of? They seem to be both as efficient,
the SolarEdge system is 20% cheaper, they both do not operate without
attached to the grid.

While I am reading that these panels efficiencies levels will only produce
really 80% of their plate ratings could I add two more panels down the road
to the array? With Microinverters I would have to purchase two more at a few
hundred dollars and more harnesses, but with SolarEdge I believe I can add
more panels easily and get as close to the 10KW to earn maximum as possible.

I am wondering what the ease of installation, maintenance, repair, adjust,
addition or subtration of panels to the system. Which system is more
prefered? Enphase or Solaredge? Watching the Solaredge with optimizers now
seem to look more simpler to install, but Microinverters seem to be the new
thing. I am wondering how you folks think about one or the other, why or
why not.

I just want to focus on the primary now and earn as much as possible from
the grid and 40 panels that qualify me for the program. My thinking now is
to buy an additional 2 panels, keep them charging (seperate small charge
controller) small battery bank and have them jump over to help the grid
(become 42 panels) when batteries are full. I can figure that switch or
diverter safely and easily enough but which inverter would work best for
that type of thinking? I would think the SolarEdge because the
MicroInverters on the two seperate would not work to charge the batteries..
So if power does go out I have the two panels to keep batteries charging.

Any comments on this? Which inverters do you folks like best? SolarEdge or
Enphase? Both have almost a 25 year warrenty and I believe both might be
around for 25 years. Seems to be the new thing these solar panels. I don't
think these big firms will be going anywere soon.

Thanks again for all advice,,

73s