Old September 29th 15, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
rickman rickman is offline

Default Parallel coax

On 9/29/2015 12:45 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
Which is greater - 10db or -30db?

In voltage ratios, they are 1/3 and 1/30 respectively, and in power
ratios, 1/10 and 1/000 respectively. But if you lost 30dB down your coax,
you'd be losing 20dB MORE than if you were only losing 10dB. But surely
even you wouldn't say "My coax has a loss of minus 30dB"? [Or would you?!]

dB without a refferance to something like voltage or power is not much if
any use.

Really? Not all measurements are absolute. The return loss we have
been discussing is a perfect example. One power level vs. another. No
need to consider the units as they factor out.

--

Rick