Old September 29th 15, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John S John S is offline

Default Parallel coax

On 9/27/2015 1:42 PM, John S wrote:
On 9/27/2015 1:20 PM, Wayne wrote:

"rickman" wrote in message ...

On 9/27/2015 10:41 AM, kg7fu wrote:

Matching the antenna won't make the Return Loss go away but it will
make
the transmitter happy.

Can you explain this? I thought matching the antenna would *exactly*
make the return loss go away because it would eliminate the mismatch.

Not wanting to put words in his mouth....
I read that to mean that the high SWR between the ATU and the antenna
would remain, but the transmitter would be happy with the SWR on the
transmitter/ATU coax.

Rick is correct. If the antenna (load) is matched to the line, there is
no return loss, hence no SWR. The ATU will be adjusted (hopefully) to
make the transmitter operate properly with the impedance as seen at the
transmitter end of the line.

I apologize. My statement that "there is no return loss" above is
technically incorrect. The return loss with matched conditions is
maximum. It will peg your meter.