Old October 10th 03, 04:25 PM
El Martillo

Hmmm -- from the FCC Site URL:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ama...tml#technician

Technician

The privileges of a Technician Class operator license include operating
stations while transmitting on channels in any of 17 frequency bands above
50 MHz with up to 1,500 watts of power. To pass the Technician Class
examination, at least 26 questions from a 35 question written examination
must be answered correctly. A Technician Class licensee who also has passed
a 5 words-per-minute (wpm) telegraphy examination receives privileges in
four long distance shortwave bands in the HF range (3-30 MHz) (Refer to
Section 97.301).

Need to ask a local VEC or VE if they are still administering a tech exam
with 5 wpm code. I thought they were. But will report back.
--
73 From El Martillo

------------------------------
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

"MikeB" wrote in message
om...
MikeB wrote:

lid wrote in message

There is NO Tech Plus test. Only Tech, General and Extra.

-Frank

Hmmmm. How about "Technicians with HF" (term is from the ARRL
website)? I was trying to say that I was also taking the code test
portion also.

MikeB

There is no Tech with HF. You need a General Class.

73

Frank K3EKO

Hmmmmm, the FCC

(
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ama...atorclass.html)says

"A Technician Class licensee who also has passed a 5 words-per-minute
(wpm) telegraphy examination receives privileges in four long distance
shortwave bands in the HF range (3-30 MHz) (Refer to Section 97.301)"

Is this incorrect or outdated? As I said before this is all new to me!

MikeB

There was a change. FCC dropped Tech Plus for new licensees. You will

need
to take the General for HF. At present that requires 5 wpm.

I would recommend the K2 by electocraft (?). Get the basic 5 watt kit.
Then upgrade with additional components later. All reviews say it is a

good
choice.

Dan/W4NTI