Old October 7th 15, 08:06 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve Steve is offline

Default 6 metre antennae

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 18:21:21 +0100, gareth wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:07:35 +0100, gareth wrote:

Having now got a 6 metre facility (viz, 6m converter project
uncomplete under the bench from 20 years ago :-( ), I wonder what
are the favoured antennae for this band?

A lot depends on what you are hoping to work. To start with, a
groundplane will give you good results both for local FM and DX
ssb/morse (during the Sporadic E season, little DX otherwise.) For more
serious DX and F2 propagation, a beam is really a must. Not only for
the gain, but also to cut signals/noise from unwanted directions.
Summertime 6m Es can be absolute bedlam and every little helps!

Damn! Just had a big clearout and binned a samll rotator that had been
languishing in the shed for 20 years!

This is why I have a shed crammed full of stuff I'll never need... :-)