Old October 8th 15, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Transmission line loss under mismatch explanations

In message , Jeff writes
Anyway all of the article can be blown out of the water by some practice
measurement of a real life situation, which will show that a 3:1
mismatch will produce the same loss regardless of whether it is Zo*3 or
Z0/3 when you are talking about feeding an antenna.

Jeff

Great, Jeff! I would support your suggestion to make measurements. All
you need to do is set up his scenario and collect some data. Please use
his identical set-up to confirm or refute his results.

If you have understood what I have been saying at all then you would
understand that I am not refuting his results (at least to a first
approximation). What I am refuting is the extension of his results to
the 'normal' case of feeding an antenna, which he tries to do in the
later parts of the article.

In reality you do not need to do the experiments, they have been done
many times, and the loss in a feeder under mismatch conditions is well
know and documented. It is these results that the author is challenging
from the wrong standpoint of a short line which is not extensible to
other cases.

My understanding is that when there is a standing wave on a feeder, the
additional SWR loss occurs because the higher 'I-squared R' losses at
the current maxima outweigh the lower 'I-squared R' losses at the
current minima.

If the feeder is not long enough to have a current maximum (or anything
like it), and the load mismatch is higher than Zo, the typical current
on the feeder can be lower than it would be if it was correctly
terminated. If so, the feeder loss can actually be lower than would be
if it was correctly terminated.

As I confused?

--
Ian