Old October 10th 15, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Remote ATU?

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015, gareth wrote:

Whereas it has become de rigeur for remoate ATUs at the feedpoint of the
antenna,
tuning automatically, I wonder if anyone has historically done this by the
Armstrong***** method?

I ask because my shack is on the first floor in the front bedroom and the
antenna which I
wish to remotely tune is down the back garden.

Has anyone ever done this by the Armstrong method, by a series of wires,
pullies and
rods?

The only time I've seen "Armstrong" applied to antennas was to rotate it,
and then you had the mast coming through a hole in the roof so it was
convenient.

It's hard enough making sure water doesn't come in where coax feeds
through, it would be even worse with ropes going through the wall to
remote control things.

Rotating an antenna makes a certain amount of sense, since then you save
the cost of the rotator.

But remoting an antenna tuner means some small cheap motors to do the
work, and when scrounged, they won't cost much.

Michael

11 years ago, I availed myslef of a roller-coaster at the Flight Refuelling
Rally, and
it is high time to put it into use!

***** Armstrong method means manually!