Old October 15th 15, 12:22 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default The little holes in PL259

A. non Eyemouse wrote:
On 15/10/2015 09:09, gareth wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
What's the solution to soldering through to the underlying braid in a
PL259 if the only
soldering iron small enough to engage the holes is a low-power jobbie?

Perchance the solution lies in using a junior hacksaw to make a slot
between two of the holes
so the big iron can get in there?

This is for an outdoors connection, so I want to ensure that it is sound.

.... and thereby hangs a tale ...

I have a large soldering iron which has proved to be dangerous in use,
because the
bit falls out and could not be resolved, until, that is, this morning when I
relaised that
if I jammed some hook-up wire into the hole in parallel with the bit then
the problem
could be resolved.

Result; one soldered PL259

Must close now because my aerail rigger is due in half an hour, but thanks
for all the
positively social hints and tips!

And the moral of this story? ... _NEVER_ buy any tools with the "Draper"
brand.

If you really must use them you can now obtain compression fit UHF
connectors from most good suppliers. Far more reliable than buggering
about with big soldering irons and much quicker to apply. For an example
see ebay item 290800326125.

Right!
I recently bought one for a short jumper cable to adapt from PL-259
to N female (and have some flexibility at the same time) and those
connectors not only are much easier to fit but also connect much more
reliably.