Old October 17th 15, 11:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
bilou bilou is offline

Default Magnetic Loops

"Brian Howie" wrote in message

I've a 5 foot Octagonal loop for MF. The shield is copper water pipe, with
a gap , 7 turns inside plus a coupling winding. It does a good job
eliminating local noise (mostly ASDL hash from the phone lines) compared
with a vertical. However the capacitance between the shield and turns
seems to load it quite a bit meaning I can't get the tuning range I'd
like.

Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie

Hi
My own experience is that ,at least for receive, multi turn loops are
useless.
Instead you can use a single turn one with a good coil in serial.
The tuning range for a given variable capacitor is much greater
especially if ,at low frequency, the coil is using ferrite .
Switching the coil can increase the tuning range easily.
The coil, with a secondary winding,is also very useful to
adjust the coupling to the receiver.