Old October 11th 03, 09:34 PM
Airy R. Bean

Your desperation to score points has blinded you.....

WRONG! The ageing problem when NOT using pallet
stones is wear on the pallets themselves, a problem in the
two clocks that I have restored recently. The NEGATIVE NERDS
who seem to be my cataloguers will tell you what they were.

Hence it is better to use pallet stones than not at all, and so
my query for a source of them.

WRONG! Your comments relating to loss of accuracy are
WRONG in your assumption because I am considerng the
use of a gravity escapement.

Brian Reay wrote in message
"own crystals in order to reduce ageing" The "crystals" used in the

pallet
of an escapement are using usually synthethtic ruby and, while the

changing
of their profile can contribute to a loss of accuracy, the 'ageing

problem'
is wear on the escape wheel and, while this is related to the 'cut' of the
pallet stones, other aspects of the system accuracy determine the various
profiles in this area (in particular the need for the escape lever to
provide the impetus to the 'balance' wheel).