Old November 5th 15, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman Irv Finkleman is offline

Default How can I make a simple antenna trimmer?

sctvguy1 wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 20:10:35 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 02:28:05 -0000 (UTC), sctvguy1
wrote:

I have an old boatanchor, a Lafayette HE-10,

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=lafayette+he-10
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/lafayette_he_10he1.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk1dmQEsoIk
Made by Kenwood/Trio for Lafayette.

that takes a single wire antenna and a ground. I would like to make a
simple trimmer to optimize the 75 feet of random coated wire. The wire
is copper, Radio Shack.

I can't tell what it uses for an antenna input (50 ohms, 75 ohms, 300
ohms, broadband, narroband, tracking filters, whatever) so I can't offer
an antenna tuner design. Any idea what's behind the antenna connector?

It is just a simple old screw, made for a copper wire antenna, the radio
was made in the late 50's. I used to have one that I made out of a
variable capacitor and just tuned the knob to trim the antenna. I am now
64 and that was when I was in junior high school? Can I get a variable
capacitor for an old radio and connect the two ends?

Oops! I didn't realize what you meant by trimming an antenna.

Irv VE6BP