Old November 10th 15, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Flex dryer vent hose loop antenna

On 11/10/2015 1:41 AM, rickman wrote:
On 11/9/2015 12:08 PM, amdx wrote:

The silver is simply optimization. If you can make your coil wire 5%
bigger, you should have already done that. Then if you want to optimized
1 + 0.05, silver plate it.

Why can't you make the wire 5% bigger again? Where exactly is the cost?

You can.
I don't think ultimate optimizing is for you.
Just make your coil with as much surface area as room will allow.
Then know it could have just a tiny bit less loss if you had the silver.
That tiny bit of loss will not be noticed in use, except for that little
nagging thought...

I once had a 6 or 7 turn loop made with 1/4" copper tubing*, Q was about
800 at 1MHz. I could have made it with 1/2" tubing, probably would have
had higher Q.
I guess the limits are money and how you want to limit physical size and
maximum inductance you can use. Did I miss any?
Mikek

*It had a vacuum variable mounted on it, I had it in the garage and my
young son moved it and broke the glass on the vacuum variable, it was a
sad day for me.