Old November 29th 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] is offline

Default Follow up to Spike ;Bent dipoles?

"gareth" wrote:
"Fred Roberts" wrote in message
On 28/11/2015 22:11, gareth wrote:
Spike recently commented upon his success with DX by implementing at
the base of his vertical antenna a fan of 300 ground wires pointing
in the direction that he wished to work.

I've not seen my suggestion before, but why could one not just have a
1/4 wave vertical, with the other 1/4 wave making up the dipole being
rotatable for the desired direction of working?

This was covered in, IIRC, Pat Hawkers Technical Topics many years ago.
The Americans had done some research on this very topic during the Vietnam
war, if one bends a vertical dipole so that the two elements are at right
angles to each other it is possible it would seem to get some directivity
in the direction of the horizontal element.

Thinking about how drooping the radials on a ground plane brings
the feed impedance from 35 up to 50 ohms, I presume that bending a dipole
has
the same type of effect of reducing down from 72 ohms?

***Project Shun Notice***
Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW has been placed under a global shunning order by
Project Shun for his continual, deranged trolling.
Please help us make Usenet better by not responding to his malicious and
lunatic postings.
With thanks, Team Project Shun.
***end***

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur