Old November 30th 15, 11:31 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Spike[_3_] Spike[_3_] is offline

Default Follow up to Spike ;Bent dipoles?

On 30/11/2015 18:34, wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Spike wrote:

Imagine a case whereby someone digs up the soil around the base of a
vertical antenna, a couple of feet deep and as far out as the antenna is
tall. Into this they mix 2 percent of high-aspect-ratio thin conducting
fibres, say about a foot long, and then replace the soil. 2 percent of
conducting fibres in an essentially non-conducting medium is about the
minimum proportion necessary to reach the percolation threshold..

What results from your modelling exercise do you get in this case?

Modeling thing buried in the soil requires professional software that
costs on the order of $1,000.

To do this with reasonably priced (for a hobby) software requires that
effective soil conductivity be determined.

Send me either $1,000.00 or the effective soil conductivity and I'll
be glad to do it.

The effective soil conductivity will be close to the fully conductive
value of the fibres - that's what percolation does. The high aspect
ratio fibres are a method of achieving that in a poorly conductive
medium such as soil.

--
Spike

"Crime butchers innocence to secure a throne, and innocence struggles
with all its might against the attempts of crime"

- Maximilien Robespierre