Old October 14th 03, 06:54 PM
AK

"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
In article , jder8745
@aol.com says...
Recently I hear more and more hams using "kilowatt" as the phonetic for

the
letter K. The correct phonetic is "kilo".

Could this be considered, "hamming it up?"

groan

Steve - this sort of nit-pick has no place in ham radio. There are many
phonetic word lists, and they all have different words: International,
Police, ITU, ARRL, Navy, Western Union, ICAO(CAA) - and not a one of them is
illegal to use, and even the cute self-created ones work just fine. Yes, if
I were doing police dispatching, I would use the police phonetics. But this
is amateur radio, and it's supposed to be fun. In Ohio days I stopped using
WILD ZEBRAS 8 ALFALFA because the "8" got confused with the "A"(as in
"ate"). But as long as you could tell the call was WZ8A, it was legal. You
would probably correct me if I said my "handle is Andy." Understand that the
use of "handle," as a cute substitute for "name," was going on long before
CB ever existed. I was saying "my handle is Andy" on the 11-meter ham band
back in 1959. Hams probably picked it up from the military. The strict
protocol may be good training for traffic nets and such, but please loosen
up a little. That stuffed-shirt stuff could take the fun out of the hobby
for a beginner, and there is no reason for it. Think I'll turn on the rig
and send a "dit-dah-dah-dit-dit" waiting for a "dit-dit" back (instead of a
CQ call). It's legal, as long as I send my call within ten minutes.

73, King 4 Young King Zebra