Old December 5th 15, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Usenet and NGs dying?

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"rickman" wrote in message
A big issue I have with Yahoo is that they now require you to verify a

new account with a mobile cell number. That's ridiculous.

I have not seen any places that required a phone number. If it did, I would
not give mine out except a bank or similar place.

I have seen several places that would like a phone number for verification,
but not required.

I don't know about Yahoo (I've never looked) but I know google every so
often asks if you want to include a cellphone number. This is an extra
level of security, they'll send you some bit of code or password that you
have to enter also (if you sign up), it sort of being like a "dongle" in
the days of protected software, only you will have that cellphone number
so it's additional proof that it is in fact you.

But so far, it's only been an offer, no demand.

On the other hand, I've seen people talk about this as if it's mandatory,
so either they get a different offer, or have misread it.

Michael