Old December 5th 15, 02:16 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default 60 / 40?

In message , FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI
writes
"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1512042253160.15794@darkstar .example.org...
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Jim Mueller wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 11:26:31 -0500, Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, highlandham wrote:
On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
On 03/12/2015 15:20, gareth wrote:
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin /
lead?)
solder despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves
these days) ruling that lead free must be used to the exclusion of
all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a
variant of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

Wrong again Gareth!!

tin lead solder is not banned "to the exclusion of all else".
It is still allowed in biomedical, military and some avionics
equipment and for the repair of items that were built with tin/lead.
It is still easy to purchase 60/40.

Jeff

=========================
Agree , I still happily use 60/40 resin core solder and recently
stocked-up . Lead free solder is a pain.

I thought 63/37 was better.

I once got a good deal on that mix, nice and thin too, and it lasted a
long time. Fewer places to get electronic solder now, the replacement
roll cost more and was too thick, and 60/40.

Michael

63/37 is better but the difference is very slight. In the "old days"
they used 50/50 and even 40/60.

The stuff I had was nice and thin, which probably mattered more than
the actual mix.

I suddenly remember buying some solder, I can't remember why or where
but I suspect I got a good price, and then it turned out to be the
wrong mix. It was awful, so maybe it was 50/50. It wasn't acid core,
just hard to use, if I recall properly.

At a garage sale a few years ago, I found a small roll of "IBM Brand"
solder, I assume it was made by someone else and IBM put their brand
on it. Too thick to be useful, it was a good mix though.

Michael

My first soldering iron was a poker in a coal fire.

Same here.

However, some visiting family friends (staying with us for a holiday)
took pity on me, and bought me a small 'heat in the fire' iron (plus a
tin of Little Imp soldering paste) at Woolworths, in Berwick. I remember
the occasion well - even though it was 1959.

Can't remember where I got solder from, the local TV repair shop
probably.

I think my dad some (1/4" bar stuff).
--
Ian