Old December 6th 15, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur,uk.net.news.config

Default Disrupting Usenet NGs

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 23:42:55 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

From your own gratuitous abuse above, I take it that you are a
CBer-masquerading-as-a-radio-ham,
and to help you to understand the difference, I append my FAQ ...

So much for burning bridges behind you. I suggest you not set fire to
the bridge that you're standing upon.

I got my start in radio as a CB operator. Most of my ham radio
friends in high skool were also CB operators. That's because we could
afford a CB radio or the 1960's, but not ham radios of the day. I
tried to build my own, but lacked the time and expertise. I settled
for converting old mobile FM radios and repeaters into a workable
communications system. Circa 1965:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Old%20Repeaters/slides/wb6eep-01.html
Had it not been for CB, I would not have been able to get a start in
radio of any type.

More recently, some of the best volunteers for events and emergency
operations came from the CB sector. When looking in the mirror, don't
assume that you're seeing the entire world. Ham radio is a very big
hobby, with room for contesting, DX, experimentation, EME, antennas,
chatting, emergency services, public service, message passing, and
whatever else you can devise within the rules and regulations. Each
area comes and goes as the times change. Were ham radio limited to
being only a technical hobby, it would have died long ago.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D