Old December 9th 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
rickman rickman is offline

Default Free space and our systems of units?

On 12/9/2015 12:34 PM, Wayne wrote:

"gareth" wrote in message ...

The impedance of Free Space is given as 377 ohms.

Surely if there's nothing there, that should be unity, suggesting that
our
systems of units, newtons, volts, etc. are arbitrary and just plain
wrong.

Should we change, as we do for circular measure, now using Radians and
neither
Degrees nor Grads?

Agreed. And to further simplify things we should switch to a revised
metric time system.
One with ten hours per day, ten minutes per hour, ten seconds per minute
and ten months per year.

Do you also decree 10 days per month? Are you going to adjust the
length of the day or the length of the year to suit? I'd like to see
the proposal on how to do that. Underground nukes with shaped tunnels
to the surface pointing east or west?

It is easy to get units to come out to 1, it is called normalization.
Er of free space is 1, no?

--

Rick