Old December 15th 15, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Colinear antennas

Laszlo Lebrun wrote:

Is it allowed to post here a question related to antennas and without
crossposts? :-)

Reading the content of the other threads, I'm not quite sure...

Crossposting is generally not appropriate.

OK let's try nevertheless:

A colinear antenna is using alternating sections if coaxial cable whereas
the signal is travelling half inside the coax, half outside.
The length of the sections should be half wave considering the velocity
factor of the used coaxial cable.

I would tend to consider the velocity factor only for the parts of the
antenna where the the signal is travelling *inside* the coax cable.

I know, my reasoning is probably wrong, but why?

Thank you for your advice

Anything that radiates and is covered with just about anything but air
must have the length adjusted to account for the covering.

The length of a dipole made from insulated #12 wire will be different
than the length of the same dipole made from bare #12 wire.

The difference in length will depend on the characteristics of the
insulating material.

The velocity factor of the coax will determine the length when it is used
as a phasing section.

The outer insulating material will determine the length when the shield
is a radiating element.

--
Jim Pennino