Old January 22nd 16, 10:22 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default MF, LF and ADSL?

In message , gareth
writes
For QRO TX on MF and LF, do people feel the need to disconnect the ADSL
router
from the telephone line lest induced pick-up should blow it up?

It all depends on how QRO is QRO, and the proximity of the antenna to
the phone/ADSL/LAN wiring.

Even when running moderate powers (100W or less), a lot of amateurs find
they get disconnected from the internet when they transmit. Multi-turn,
large-diameter ferrite ring chokes on all the connections to the router
usually helps quite a bit.

But as for actual damage, my only experience is when lightning struck
(or struck near) the overhead phone lines about quarter of a mile away.
There was a simultaneous 'click' from my ADSL modem, and it immediately
stopped working (but no sign of damage).

--
Ian